One of my favorite movies of all-time, The Sandlot is celebrating it's 25th anniversary this month! I discovered this movie when I was around 10 years old and any kid that has ever played sandlot baseball with their buddies can appreciate it's greatness. I remember those endless summer days of playing baseball, walking around town with your friends without a care in the world. This movie still gives me those feelings every time I watch it. I must have watched this movie over 100 times as a kid and have now watched it with my own children and after all these years I have discovered a few fun facts about The Sandlot that I never knew. Let's grab our gloves, open some baseball cards and check out some things you might not have known about the classic film The Sandlot:
1. The older and younger Benny are played by brothers Pablo and Mike Vitar!
2. The chewing tobacco in the fair scene was made of jerky and licorice.
3. The vomit from the same scene was made of split pea soup, baked beans, oatmeal and water.
4. The Vincent Drug Store location was also used in the films Halloween 4 and 5!
5. The original title was "Boys of Summer" but was changed due to a possible lawsuit by author Roger Kahn.
6. Before the CPR scene actor Chauncey Leopardi aka Squints was told by director David Mickey Evans to "Keep your tongue in your mouth, understand?"
7. There have been 2 Sandlot sequels. The Sandlot 2 (2005) and The Sandlot: Heading Home (2007)
8. The story for The Sandlot took place in the San Fernando Valley during the Summer of 1962.
9. The film holds a 56% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
10. Made 32 million at the box office and more than doubled that total in video sales becoming a cult classic!
There you have it! I hope everyone learned a little something about this fantastic movie. Now grab your copy of The Sandlot and watch in amazement as Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez gets his crew out of the biggest pickle of all-time! Oh and always remember as Babe Ruth once said, "Heroes get remembered, but legends never die!"