Friday, June 15, 2018

Ninja Turtle Ice Pops!

This past week I organized the second of four Cookouts that my job puts on as a fundraiser for our local American Cancer Society. Each year we raise approximately $5,000 for the cause, but this year I was looking for a way to earn some extra donations when my wife stumbled onto the Facebook page of a local woman who runs an ice cream truck! I checked out her page and saw she had done some previous ACS events and looked at her pictures. I saw this...
She had Ninja Turtles, Sonic The Hedgehog, Batman and Minions ice cream pops available! I immediately messaged her and we were able to have the ice cream truck show up for the latest Cookout and she agreed to donate a portion of what she made to the American Cancer Society!
I was so excited to indulge in a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ice cream bar! I had not had one of these in decades! Mikey was cherry flavored sherbet with gumball eyes. Holding this really took me back to when I was a kid and my Dad would let us get some ice cream at the local general store. It was the same general store that was used as a filming location in the original Friday The 13th film!
More often than not myself and my brother would choose a Good Humor Fat Frog bar.
These things were amazing! They were made of green colored vanilla ice cream with candy eyes. I'm pretty sure they disappeared from freezers in the mid to late 80s. After that I would enjoy a Choco Taco, Bubble O'Bill, Flintstones Push Up or Strawberry Shortcake bar from the local ice cream truck.
So finally I was happy to have that feeling again of being a little kid in the summer holding an ice pop shaped like one of my favorite cartoon characters. On a side note the ice cream truck owner donated half of what she made to the American Cancer Society! Very generous of her! Now in honor of ice cream peddlers everywhere, let's take a look at a classic commercial! 

2 comments:

  1. Damn,that's a feel good story ,man!Nothing brings me back like an Ice Cream truck.Did she ring the bell as she pulled up?I loved the sherbet characters but my fav was the Strawberry Shortcake.Push Ups came In second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, she didn't have a bell. The truck strangely played lullaby music? Strawberry Shortcake bars are always amazing!

      Delete