Monday, March 6, 2017

Going to the Antique store: Part 1

 

This past weekend was amazingly beautiful. The weather was in the 60s, the sun was out and the wind was minimal. Since the winter has been so harsh, me and my family decided to take advantage of this glorious day, walk around and visit the shops downtown. One of the kids' favorites was a store called Yesteryear's Antiques. Here are a few of my fave items we spotted.
Battle Action Mega-Armor Wolverine: $15
Back in the early to mid 90s every young boy was into the X-Men thanks to the Fox Kids cartoon show and Marvel comics. Toy-Biz made a ton of toys based on this franchise from the awesome to the ridiculous. This toy falls somewhere in between for me. It is awesome because who wouldn't want their favorite hero wrapped in an impenetrable suit of armor. On the other hand, why would Wolvie need a suit of armor?
Beer Signs and Memorabilia: $25 - $250
I just love looking at these old Beer advertising signs. They had everything from mirrors, neon and light up signs to advertise every brand from Bud to Schlitts. I just look at these old signs and wonder where they hung before making it to the antique store. A pool hall, seedy bar, biker club or a basement? All I know is I want one!
Chilly Willy Glass: $9
I loved Chilly Willy the penguin growing up. I had a stuffed Chilly Willy doll that I carried around with me everywhere. I really wanted this glass, but I felt the price was a little to high. But, when will I ever see one again? Dammit! Now I feel like I need to go back and grab this!
Batman Cereal Bank: $7
Another item I really wanted to pick up. It was in great shape, but I just couldn't justify the price. If it was still shrink wrapped to a box of Batman Cereal as it was originally produced in 1989, then hell yes I would have picked it up. I never owned this as a kid, but still have fond memories of seeing it in the cereal aisle next to Cap'N Crunch and the Trix Bunny.
Strawberry Shortcake Dolls: $25 - $55
I never played with Strawberry Shortcake Dolls, I don't plan on collecting them, but it was cool to see them on the shelves of this store in their original packaging. I wonder if they still smell like berries?
Woody Woodpecker Film Reel: $6.95
You always find crazy things at the Antique store and this was one of them. If I had an old projector, just maybe then I would have picked this up. An old Walter Lantz Cartoon on reel, AWESOME!
Disneyland Coca-Cola Cans: $1
This is an item I never knew existed. I never knew Coca-Cola made special cans that were sold only at Disney Theme Parks. The possibilities here are endless! I liked these cans simply for the fact that they featured Roger Rabbit on them. I was a big fan of the movie when it came out in 1988 and it is always nice to see Mr. Rabbit get his due on any Disney Merchandise. Now take some time off and enjoy the Roger Rabbit short "Tummy Trouble" featuring Baby Herman!

6 comments:

  1. There is a place called Yesteryear's Antiques around here , they have nothing very interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a mandated law that every antique store has to have some form of fast food promotional glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there isn't one, there definitely should be!

      Delete
  3. Been meaning to stop by my local antique shop.I become overcome with fear of finally doing It and breaking something :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my 3 kids didn't break anything, you should be fine...maybe?

      Delete