Friday, October 13, 2017

Retro Arcade: MediEvil

In 1998 Sony Computer Entertainment dropped the action/adventure game "MediEvil" onto us! In the game you play as Sir Daniel Fortesque, a medieval knight who was wrongly credited with defeating Zarok and his undead army! 100 years later Zarok has returned and Sir Daniel has been resurrected by accident. To prove he belongs next to the great warriors of his time in the hall of heroes, it is up to this jawless, single eyed soldier to save the land of Gallowmere!


Me and my brothers got this game as a Christmas present and was one of the first PlayStation games we ever owned! From the start I was hooked. The story was cool, the graphics were outstanding for the time and the characters & settings were artistic and clever.


It's really a shame that despite positive reviews, we only got one proper sequel to this fun and imaginative game! In 2000 MediEvil 2 was released again by Sony and it picks up 500 years after the first installment with Sir Daniel in London attempting to stop sorcerer Lord Palethorn and Jack the Ripper's plans to revive the dead.

I have never played this game, actually I never knew it existed until I started writing this post! But now I am on the hunt for a copy! According to reviews, it plays and looks pretty much the same as the original. Seriously though, who could pass up an opportunity to become an undead warrior who fights creatures of the night on his way to thwart the plans of Jack The Ripper!

It sounds like a blast, but nothing can replace those teenage memories of playing this game full of ghouls and demons on Christmas morning with my brothers...oh I mean brother, my youngest sibling was so scared of the game that he couldn't nor be around anyone who was playing the game! Sony really needs to go back and take a look at this PS1 classic. Could you imagine this game on the PS4? That would be insane! Now enjoy this MediEvil commercial from the 1998 holiday season!


4 comments:

  1. I loved this game, too! I received my PS1 for Christmas of 1998 and this was one of the titles I received with it. Man, 1998 was one of the best years ever for video games, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was! Resident Evil 2, Banjo-Kazooie, Spyro, Pokémon Red & Blue, Metal Gear Solid, Ocarina of Time...the list goes on and on!

      Delete
  2. I'm currently doing alot of gaming on my ps1.I played this once as a teen but had outgrown the cartoony graphics.I'd love to get my hands on a copy today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The graphics really don't hold up too well, but the story and game play are still pretty solid. You can find copies on Amazon for around $25.

      Delete