Friday, January 13, 2017

Whatever Happened to Chip & Pepper?


A while back I wrote a post about the 1991 Saturday Morning NBComic. Featured in it was an ad featuring all the hot new cartoons that would be on NBC that fall. Yo Yogi, Pro Stars, Space Cats, Captain N and Chip and Pepper's Cartoon Madness!
Wait? What? Chip and Pepper? I totally forgot about those guys! If you didn't know, these radical identical twin dudes from Winnipeg hosted their own Saturday Morning television show titled "Chip and Pepper's Cartoon Madness"! In it the two brothers play the part of cartoon bulldogs who escape into the real world through a hole in their cartoon.
While on Earth their main goal is to spread fun and show cartoons to the kids of the world all while fighting the nasty Bubbleina! Sounds crazy? Well it was! Just watch the samples below to get a taste of what "Chip and Pepper's Cartoon Madness" was all about!
Sadly the show only lasted one season from 1991-1992. But in that time Chip and Pepper parlayed their TV celebrity status into a popular clothing line that featured everything from shirts to jackets to jeans. Since 1985 Chip had been designing t-shirts and selling them out of the back of his Jeep.
 According to his website the "Chip & Pepper" and "Chip Foster" clothing lines are currently sold in over 500 stores worldwide and has made the brand  a resource to some of Hollywood's biggest celebs! If you are interested you can buy a pair of Chip Foster Jeans off the official website by clicking HERE. Warning the average price is around $200!
Aside from a few appearances on the Style Network and E!, I could not find anymore acting appearances by the duo. In my search I did uncover this nice interview with the twins on the website Vintage Inspired Passionista.
So in closing, I am a little disappointed that Chip and Pepper did not continue their reign as the coolest dudes/dogs on television, but I find a little comfort in knowing that if I win the lottery I can afford to buy a pair of their jeans in 2017. Also, it looks like they can throw a pretty kick ass party!

12 comments:

  1. Thank you! I've been trying to find details about this show for years. My twin brother and I would imitate the show, but I could not remember what it was called or even what it was about. I've spent many nights on a google rabbit hole trying to figure it out until tonight when I finally read this post. My next quest is to find a video of the actual show when they jump into the screen and turn into the animated dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. Glad I could bring some closure to your search.

      Delete
  2. Quest completed: https://vimeo.com/125891796

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There it is! I used to have a video similar to this in this post, but for some reason YouTube pulled it down! Great find!

      Delete
  3. I went to high school with Chip.

    I recall stopping by their place on early morning to pick up their roommate to go skiing. It was 6am, in January in Winnipeg. The front door of their house was WIDE open. The house was about -20C inside.
    Turns out they had a huge rager the night before that included a "campfire" on the kitchen floor.
    Always entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to high school in burlington Ont. And had the pleasure of having these guys in my gym class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What sport were they good at? I'm thinking dodge ball?

      Delete
    2. I was so sure they used to skate at Roller Gardens but am always perplexed at the Winnipeg reference. Thank you for clearing up my jumbled mind!

      Delete
  5. they went to Burlington central up to gr 8 i use to hang out with pepper for the couple of years he was here. They lived in an apt on prospect st Chip was always the quiet one the brains you might say. Pepper was hyperactive he would save up the pills he had to control his hyperactivity then we would do then on the weekend. We use to get into all kinds of shit one time this guy that lived right above them came over this guy was nuts he ended up taking a shit on a paper towel and throwing off of Peppers balcony onto a cab when the cab driver got out of his car he sees us on the balcony and tells the super of the building pepper got all the shit for that shit one Christmas Pepper and I went caroling door to door we clean up the people were giving us money to stop singing lol. Crazy times we would throw snow balls at cars in the winter and rocks in the summer like i said we got into all kinds of shit lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was introduced to Chip and Pepper in 2000-2001 time frame by my friend Benny Mogl. They grew up together in Vancouver area.
      Not sure if chip or pepper owned the house but it was in Beverly Hills and was said to be previously owned by Lucile Ball. One of their friends who was a chef cooked a fantastic meal. I recall Chips wife had just that day got a real bad cut on her hand. All I wanted to say is my one hangout with those guys was awesome and I regret not keeping in touch as we planned.

      Delete