Monday, April 24, 2017

Bionic Bo



If you were a sports fan back in the early 90s there were 3 names that were on the tip of every kids tongue...Ken Griffey Jr., Michael Jordan and BO JACKSON!
From the start of Bo's career in Kansas City in 1986, I was a fan. He was larger than life and like nothing I had ever seen before on the baseball diamond. He was built like a tank, fast as a cheetah and had an arm like a cannon. As a card collector, I had to have anything and everything with Bo on it! But my favorite card I own of his has to be the 1991 Fleer "ProVision" card #5.
It isn't worth a heck of a lot (you can find them on eBay for around $1), but this is how I envisioned Bo when I was a kid. He was more than human, he was an icon who pulled off such great feats that he had to be robotic! I loved this card so much that for my 10th birthday I asked for a t-shirt with this image on it! My dad went to a screen printer at the local mall and my birthday wish came true! I wore the shirt maybe twice because I didn't want it to get dirty, but it hung on my wall for years!
Then in 1987 Jackson was drafted by the Los Angeles Raiders! Now Bo was building his legacy on the gridiron by running over giants, scoring touchdowns and embarrassing defenses in his spare time away from Baseball.
Then during an NFL Playoff game against the Cincinnati Bengals on January 13, 1991 the impossible happened. My sports hero was taken down. His hip was dislocated and fractured ending his NFL career and leading the KC Royals to drop him from their roster. 10 year old me was crushed to see this happen.
Then an amazing thing occurred, BO PLANNED TO RETURN TO BASEBALL WITH AN ARTIFICIAL HIP! He was back in the gym rehabbing for his come back and as Dennis Leary once said "It Ain't over till a hip socket sings."
Bo came back and in his first at bat since his hip surgery in true Herculean fashion he smashed a home-run. It was glorious! Bo played until 1994 ending his career with the California Angels. It was only an 8 year career, but damn was it spectacular! I will always remember him as "Bionic Bo". If you haven't seen the ESPN 30 for 30 film "You Don't Know Bo: The Legend of Bo Jackson", you need to check it out. It goes beyond the sports he played and shows how he became the American Icon he was in the late 80s & early 90s. You can view a preview below.

6 comments:

  1. Those ProVision cards were mega popular.I had Canseco,Jackson,Sierra and Don Mattingly.They were pretty tough to pull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were amazing! I remember the Baseball ones coming out first then Basketball & Football followed.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for participating in the contest. That's an awesome card. Those ProVisions were really great, I like that each one was different. -- Regarding the cards you want: please just email at the email on my blog and I'll get 'em ready for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I appreciate that. I'll get an email with my list sent out as soon as I can!

      Delete
  3. As soon as I saw the title of this post I immediately thought of the Dennis Leary commercial. Awesome! I'm bringing Bo and his big bad hip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved those commercials. In the 90s NIKE commercials were an event. If you heard one come on, you dropped everything just to watch them. If not, you could miss the ne Bo Knows spot or Michael Jordan balling with Bugs Bunny. Good times! 😀

      Delete