Monday, April 3, 2017

Round Robin Challenge: At the Corner Store


This week I have the privilege of selecting the Round Robin Social Media Challenge topic! There have been some great topics covered over the last few weeks and I wanted to choose something different, then I began to search for some of my favorite childhood memories. A lot of these memories came back to riding our bikes to the local corner store to grab snacks, drinks and other fun items so me and my friends could get energized before we hit the blacktop. So this weeks topic is...
When you were a kid, what would you use your hard earned allowance money to buy at the corner store? To get this thing started I'll let you know what my top picks were and why!
Trading Cards!
This was back in the day when every movie or character that was even remotely appealing to kids had it's own trading card set. I do remember grabbing packs of the above properties, but I also remember picking up Adams Family, Dinosaurs Attack and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle cards.
Gatorade
In the early 90s we were all under the grip of the cultural icon known as Michael Jordan. He was the spokesperson for everything from Wheaties to Nike to his own SNES game! We all wanted to be "Like Mike". So for us streetball hoopers drinking Gatorade was a must! My favorite flavor was Citrus Cooler. Not only because it was labeled as "Mike's Favorite Flavor", but because it was delicious! The flavor has been in and out of the rotation over the years, so whenever I see it on shelves it's time to stock up! Why don't they produce Gatorade in glass bottles anymore?
Gatorgum
Sticking with the Gatorade family, we move on to Gatorgum. This product only came in 2 flavors that I remember being Lemon/Lime and Orange. I favored the orange as my gum of choice. According to my research Gatorgum was discontinued in the early 2000s. I'm surprised to hear that it was around that long! The closest thing available to Gator Gum today is Quench Gum.
Ruffles Cheddar & Sour Cream chips
I remember when these came out and thinking they would be nasty. After first bite, they became a staple in my corner store trips. These are so amazing! It's like a creamy cheddar taste wrapping all the goodness of a salty Ruffles chip. They are still available today in any grocery store. If you haven't tried these, I suggest picking some up today!
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Comics
Every time I went into the corner store, I had to peruse the comic/magazine rack. They were always littered with any new X-Men comics that were out and the Archie produced Ninja Turtles Adventures comics. These were my introduction to the world of Turtles comics. Kind of a gateway to the more adult Mirage produced comics. I still love reading these today. For the most part the art was great and the stories were well written. IDW has been collecting these stories in TPB form over the last few years for those who missed them in the 90s.
Well, that's it for my early 90s trip to the corner store. What were your favorite items to pick up? Write your own blog entry on this topic and don't forget to leave a link to your page in my comments section! I hope we get a lot of entries. Have fun, I can't wait to see what other goodies are out there!
 
The Toy Box takes us on a trip to the corner stores of Allentown & Oregon!
The Toy Break drinkin quarter water. Gotta be the best!

7 comments:

  1. Love Sour Cream and Cheddar Ruffles. Dip em' in French Onion dip, and send yourself into orbit.

    Does this mean you're hosting next week two since you were technically first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, but No I will not host :) Just wanted to get things kick started and the creative juices flowing!

      Delete
  2. Been passing on the challenges as of late, but felt compelled to jump in on this one;

    http://thetoybox1138.blogspot.com/2017/04/round-robin-challenge-at-corner-store.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Job. Brought back some memories. You got RR dibs for next week! :)

      Delete
  3. http://toy-break.blogspot.com/2017/04/at-corner-store.html

    Reporting for duty,sir!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna have to skip or do this late- been sick this week and just now starting to feel humanish again

    ReplyDelete