Friday, April 7, 2017

Retro Lines at Toys R Us Today!


This past weekend I took my kids to our local Toys R Us for a FREE Mega Construx build! These free events happen about twice a month at Toys R Us and allow kids to come in and get stuff for free! In the past we have done free builds for Lego Nexo Knights, Lego Batman Movie, Pokémon cards, Pokémon Figures and a birthday party with Geoffrey himself!
This time around my boy got to build a ship from the HALO series and my girls built a beach set from the American Girls line. Of course since we were already there, we had to look at all the awesome toys at the store. It's like that's what Toys R Us had in mind from the start? Those crafty bastards! I was surprised to see so many toy lines from my childhood still available on the shelves. Here's a few of the cool things I found:
 
Masters of the Universe: Mega Bloks Kubros ($14.99)
These things are brilliant. It's almost like you get to build your own action figure. I always look at these on the shelf and want to buy them, but I am a cheap man with 3 kids and always wait for a sale. The He-Man version of Kubros was on sale for $8.98 when we went. Maybe I'll grab it next pay day?
 
Transformers Fortress Maximus ($149.99)
WOW!!! I never thought I would ever see a Fortress Maximus in stores again! This thing was massive and a total status symbols for kids growing up in the 80s! If you had this, you were the man! For $150 though...I'll let someone else be the man.
 
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Action Figures ($16.99)
My little brother was huge into Power Rangers. He had all the toys, collected the cards, played the games and of course watched every episode of the show. These brought back memories of watching this show with him and having epic battles in the living room as his Ninja Mega Zord would conquer my bad guys led by Goldar. If they had the White Ranger in stock, I may have to grab it for him as a gift. That was the elusive toy he never got. You might say the White Ranger is his White Whale! I know...terrible :(
 
Pokémon Cards ($3.99 - $17.99)
I know these cards have been around forever, but isn't it reassuring that in 2017 Pokémon is still a popular brand? When these cards were at their crazy peak, I worked at a mom & pop toy store in Jersey. Kids would come in every day with their allowance money to buy the latest series packs. Eventually when I would get bored and to pass the time, they taught me how to play the game and we would have matches in the store. It was fun and now as my kids are getting into Pokémon, I can pass that knowledge onto them. See Mom, it wasn't a complete waste of my time!
 
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Figures ($10.99)
I absolutely LOVE THESE! So much nostalgia is rushing through my head. I have picked up the original 4 Turtles, Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang and April in this line. I never had Super Mikey or Super Donatello as a kid. I will be adding these to my birthday wish list!
 
Madballs ($2.99 - $9.99)
I saved what is in my opinion, the best for last...MADBALLS!!! Months ago I had heard that Just Play Toys and Kid Robot were going to be putting out several different lines of Madballs. My sons favorite is Oculus Orbus and I was going nuts looking to find him one for Christmas. Well, maybe the Easter Bunny can drop one of these guys in his basket? I really like how there are different sets for different audiences. They have the classic versions based off the 80s toys. New revamped/updated versions, which my kids prefer and the Madballs Mini blind bags which are a cheaper way to get your nostalgia at $2.99 a pack.
Such a great commercial! That's it for now. Stay tuned for part 2 next week!

1 comment:

  1. I forgot all about Mad Balls.I was wondering why I kept seeing them so much on Instagram.

    ReplyDelete