Friday, July 13, 2018

Whatever Happened to The Guys Next Door?

The Guys Next Door was a sketch comedy show that ran on NBC Saturday mornings from 1990-1991. The cast included Patrick J. Dancy, Bobby Leslie, Damon Sharpe, Chris Wolf and Eddie Garcia. The Guys were an actual band that was signed to SBK/EMI Records. Their song "I've Been Waiting For You" made it onto the Billboard Hot 100 list and they released 1 self titled studio album. The NBC program lasted only 13 episodes, but was nominated for a Young Artist Award for "Best Youth Variety or Game Show". They ultimately ended up losing to The All New Mickey Mouse Club, which is one more reason to dislike Justin Timberlake. I always felt it was NBCs attempt to cash in on the New Kids on the Block craze that was sweeping the United States around this time. Take a look at this episode and decide for yourself.
Even though the series was short lived, it did have a pretty big fan following (including my 2 sisters) and they did have some catchy tunes! But, these manufactured boy band pop groups usually have a pretty quick shelf life and The Guys Next Door were no exception.
 But what happened to The Guys Next Door after NBC evicted them from their Saturday morning lineup and the record label kicked them to the curb? I did some digging and this is what I could find!
Eddie Garcia
Eddie had been acting for a few years before becoming a Guy Next Door and appeared in the films Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo (1984) and Lambada (1990). After The Guys Next Door series ended in 1991 Garcia continued to act in various television and movie roles. Most notably in Boogie Nights (1997), Bringing Down The House (2003) and Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief (2010)! He also took his dance talents on the road and danced for Michael & Janet Jackson and choreographed routines for the Dirty Dancing TV series and Jennifer Lopez: Live In Concert!

Patrick J. Dancy
Like Garcia, Dancy continued to act in television for a few decades after leaving The Guys Next Door in 1991. He appeared in a recurring role on the hit sitcom Family Matters as Ted and appeared as a guest star on the shows Living Single, In The House, The Pretender and NYPD Blue. His last acting gig was in 2004 on the TV series She Spies. In 1993 he was nominated for a Young Artist Award for "Best Young Actor Recurring In A Television Series". He lost to Aeryk Egan & Bumper Robinson. They tied for the award.

Chris Wolf
Wolf had been an actor for several years before becoming a part of The Guys Next Door and some might argue that it was his best work. He acted in the films Police Academy 6: City Under Siege (1989) and Tango & Cash (1989). After The Guys Next Door his most high profile role may have been his turn as the Swamp Creature on the television show Big Bad Beetleborgs

Bobby Leslie
After the cancellation of their TV show, Bobby Leslie has never acted again and I really can't find much info on what he has been up to since! The Guys have reunited a few times recently, but Bobby has been nowhere to be found.

Damon Sharpe
Probably the most famous of all The Guys Next Door alumni, Sharpe has created an amazing producing and songwriting career for himself. Over the years he has worked with such A-list talent as Ariana Grande, Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull and Nelly just to name a few. He did act on few television shows after Guys. You may have seen him as a Male Student in the Buffy The Vampire Slayer episode "I Robot...You Jane". But his biggest on screen contribution was probably his role as a vocal coach on the hit television series The X Factor.
So there it is, a brief update on where the Guys went after they left next door. It was a short period of time where their star shone bright, but damn it was a hell of a ride. They even had their own board game for cryin' out loud! If that doesn't count as AWESOME, I don't know what does?
Just like every other boy band of the early 90s they left us too soon, but at least they left us with some freakin hot jams!!! Thank you Guys Next Door and may God bless you wherever you are!
For more investigative reporting on some of your favorite icons from the 80s & 90s, check out the posts below!
Whatever Happened to Billy Ocean? Whatever Happened to Chip & Pepper?

57 comments:

  1. I've never heard of them .And to think they've been next door the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty short lived series, but when you live with 2 teenage sisters you get trapped in a lot of the stuff they are into!

      Delete
  2. Bobby Leslie has been living in Florida since. Recently moved back to new York. Has been a very successful computer programmer and plays guitar at local open mic nights in the area as a hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Great to know. Glad he is doing well and I wish him all the best in his future endeavors!

      Delete
    2. If you know how to get a hold of bobby, please let him know that damon is looking for him for the reunion!

      Delete
    3. That "Unknown" commenter might possibly be Bobby LOL. God I have som many questions for him , like what he did in the mid 90's and late 90's , I think he went back to school or something.

      Delete
    4. Ha Ha! That would be great if that was him!!! Bobby, if you're out there let us know!

      Delete
  3. This was my favourite show when I was in elementary school! I didn't realise it was so short, it felt like it lasted longer than this. I remember they her a special on NBC about their tour that featured Kelly from Saved By The Bell saying how cool they were.

    I was inspired to Google them because we're moving into our first house we just bought, and while I was packing the garage I found my Guys Next Door CD! "Dance All Night" is still a grade A banger!

    Thanks for the wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem. Glad I could provide you with some new info on the Guys!

      Delete
  4. Gosh I still have Guys next Door album in cassette. Never watched the show ( i was in first grade) lol, but Bobby leslie should show up already. Is he tryin to pull a Posh spice lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? They should get the Guys together for an epic small venue US tour!

      Delete
  5. They came to my local mall when I was in middle school and my friends and I all met them and got their autographs. I know I still have pictures of them from that day that I took too. Chris was my favprite haha. God I feel old now thinking about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an amazing experience one I am sure you can pass on to the next generation. Like was said before. You're only as old as you feel!

      Delete
  6. Absolutely adored this short tv series (Patrick Dancy was my fave). "Treasure" was one of their best (and my fave) songs besides "I've been waiting for you"! Definitely miss this show!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I might've been just like your sisters, I was obsessed with this show and remember getting my parents to buy me the cassette-tape version of the album, which got a total thrashing every time they drove me anywhere!

    I still have the "Guys Next Door" theme song in my head right now and was thinking about the band again after NKOTB released their 30th anniversary version of "Hangin' Tough" and remembered that I enjoyed Guys Next Door so much more!

    I had no idea what had happened to them, so thank so much for this well-researched flashback!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember these guys. They came to my town and played at one of our teen clubs i think i was around 17. I went up to get an autograph and Chris wolf grabbed my hand and made me follow him everywhere to pretend I was his girlfriend so others would leave him alone...lol. later that night a little make out session and I never saw him again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adored this show as a teenager and taped (yes videotaped) every episode. It was the Monkees of my generation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really need to re-release these episodes on DVD!

      Delete
    2. There actually was a new monkees around the same time!

      Delete
  10. Found a "cassingle" from this band and tried looking them up on Spotify, as I no longer have a cassette player. If someone could upload "I've Been Waiting For You" I'd appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope someone hears your cries for help. We could all use a little more Guys Next Door in our lives.

      Delete
  11. guys next door will they do a reunion show. if they find bobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I don't think that will ever happen :(

      Delete
  12. the guys next door ,What is Chris doing these days has anybody heard from bobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, since the 90s ended, I have no idea! Chris & Bobby, if you are out there, give us a holler and let us know what you've been up to!

      Delete
    2. I've heard he lives in California. He is married and had four daughters. He was an owner of a gym.

      Delete
  13. I went to grade school and high school with Chris. I haven't heard from him in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool. Maybe he'll hit you up sometime soon?

      Delete
  14. Met the guys at a mall signing- forever ago. I was going through a sad time in my childhood and had just left a counseling session with my divorced parents that was especially difficult. Anyway, while waiting for Chris’ autograph Bobby Leslie offered me a hug and was so nice to me. I don’t remember much of meeting the other guys but Bobby’s kindness will always stick with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an incredible story. One more reason to love the Guys Next Door! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  15. Chris was coaching freestyle wrestling in my hometown years ago. In a small town in California. That's all I'll say, he deserves his privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for doing this man! It's 2020, but I still listen to their 1988 hit single "I've Been Waiting For You" every now and then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem. They made some pretty good music back in the day. I was always a fan of "I Was Made For You".

      Delete
  17. This is an awesome entry, I'm from Mexico and even here they put the show on Friday nights, it was very funny and my brother and I knew some sketches by memory, I was in middle school back then and always liked boy band music, I think was thanks to this guys.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember Eddie & Patrick on saved by the bell.
    they made a remake same cast after the 90s will Eddie & Patrick .
    come back and play the same parts they did before. what Patrick doing today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be AWESOME to see them return on Saved By The Bell!

      Delete
  19. I knew Chris when he was in LA back in the early 2000s he was dating my friend and has a daughter now 19 from that relationship, she lives in LA still, he shortly moved to Portland after her birth, not sure if they stay in touch, haven't heard from him since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he was able to have a relationship with his daughter :)

      Delete
  20. I knew Chris when he was in LA back in the early 2000s he was dating my friend and has a daughter now 19 from that relationship, she lives in LA still, he shortly moved to Portland after her birth, not sure if they stay in touch, haven't heard from him since.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I knew Chris when he was in LA back in the early 2000s he was dating my friend and has a daughter now 19 from that relationship, she lives in LA still, he shortly moved to Portland after her birth, not sure if they stay in touch, haven't heard from him since.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I knew Chris when he was in LA back in the early 2000s he was dating my friend and has a daughter now 19 from that relationship, she lives in LA still, he shortly moved to Portland after her birth, not sure if they stay in touch, haven't heard from him since.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I knew Chris when he was in LA back in the early 2000s he was dating my friend and has a daughter now 19 from that relationship, she lives in LA still, he shortly moved to Portland after her birth, not sure if they stay in touch, haven't heard from him since.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG I'm so happy to see this! Squee! I'd love to see them back together.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Watching the Guys Nest Door when I was in High school on Saturday mornings always put me in a good mood for the rest of my day. I would love for them to maybe do another album and do a tour for all of us fans! That would be sweet!!! I do follow Damon Sharpe and Patrick Dancy on Instagram.. there lady partners are gorgeous! I have always felt that all 5 of these guys have kind hearts! I wish the show would have lasted longer than it did. It would be great if they would put the show on DVD or download the series for us to keep... I would pay for it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. They made a new saved by the bell series.
    it would cool to see Patrick play Brian Watkins again
    and see Eddie play Johnny Dakota again.
    that would be cool to see.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey everyone, not sure anyone still posts on here. yes this is Chris Wolf from GND. if you have any questions hit me up. peace and love

    ReplyDelete