Friday, December 10, 2021

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

This past weekend my family finally had the chance to see the new Ghostbusters: Afterlife movie. We had been so excited for this movie ever since it was announced a few years ago. We had survived the ups and the downs of each release date and pushback, but now it was finally time to sit back, relax and enjoy some ghost busting action!
I have to say that I was actually really surprised at how well done this movie was. Yes, there were some parts that were a little predictable, but the performances were solid and I enjoyed the cameos. I can't wait to see where this series goes after that post credits scene! So many different ways this road can wind. That being said, this movie really hit me emotionally. 
Just a few months ago my father passed away. It was really sudden and hard on my family. He was a great Dad who taught me so many great lessons over the years. How does this relate to Ghostbusters? I have my own family now and my kids are the same ages my brother and I were when my Dad took us to see Ghostbusters II in the theater. While watching Afterlife, I couldn't help but look over at my kids to see the smiles and wonderment on their faces, just as I am sure my father did when he took us to the movies back in 1989. Yes, it was an emotional moment for me and yes a tear did roll down my face as the movie came to it's end. I'm glad I could share this with my kids and I hope they remember what this experience was like 30 years from now.
I also remember my Dad letting us play the Ghostbusters II soundtrack on repeat over and over as we made a roundtrip from New Jersey to my Grandpa's house in Tennessee. I'm sure it drove him crazy, but he did cool stuff like this for us kids all the time. Looking back it's these small gestures that made him a great Dad. Unfortunately, there was no bumping soundtrack for Afterlife, but I'm sure the song "Haunted House" by McKenna Grace will be on repeat in my home for the foreseeable future and I will let my kids play it as many times as they want. I miss my Dad, but at least I have those great memories that will keep him a part of my life forever.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your dad. Great that this movie brought back great memories of him and you created your own with your kids. Looking forward to seeing this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite the loss, that's great that you have such a fond moment in time where you and your dad connected like that. That's really all we can ask for in life is time to smile during the normal routines and occasional chaos.

    ReplyDelete