Friday, September 23, 2022

New Retro Toy Store Discovery!

Recently a co-worker told me about a new retro toy shop that opened in town. You better believe that's where I took my lunch break that day. There was a ton of great stuff to look at and I had limited time to do so. I will have to go back and take a longer look at some of the stuff in this store. The prices were a little bit all over the place. Some things were priced too high and some were surprisingly affordable. In my haste to squeeze this trip in, I did find a few solid pick-ups in the comic book bins. Here is what I grabbed:
Gen 13 #1 (Image)
The Adventures of Kool-Aid Man #1 (Marvel)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures #2 (Archie)
Ultimate Spider-Man FCBD #1 (Marvel)
I always love finding some sweet deals on new comic books and you know I couldn't leave without picking up a new TMNT item for the collection. I looked at their selection of vintage TMNT toys and saw a carded Venus for $150! The card was a little beat up and I already have the loose figure, so I passed this up and my wallet thanked me. As I continued looking around, I noticed randomly placed boxes of Non-Sport cards around the store, but something caught my eye more than the others...
Upper Deck Comic Ball Cards: Series #1
Upper Deck Comic Ball Cards: Series #2
Upper Deck Comic Ball Cards: Series #3
Upper Deck Comic Ball Cards: Series #4
Sealed packs of Upper Deck Comic Ball cards! I grabbed one pack from all 4 series for $1 each! I loved these cards as a kid. This was Space Jam before Space Jam existed. Once you collected the whole set, you were treated to a comic book style story that featured the Looney Tunes and some huge names from the 90's spots scene. Included were stars like Ken Griffey Jr., Reggie Jackson, Thurman Thomas & Jerry Rice to name a few. I remember pulling a Wile E Coyote hologram from one of these packs years ago and feeling like I was a Goonie that just discovered the Inferno! Loved these cards then and still love them now! Hopefully, I'll be back soon to see what other treasures I can uncover!

4 comments:

  1. Hopefully they'll be able to stay stocked long term. A lot of these places seem to struggle with that. Comic Ball holograms were, and still are, really great. Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Adventures of Kool Aid Man! Outstanding. Nice card pick ups.

    ReplyDelete