Friday, March 20, 2020

Retro movies to watch with the kids!

Myself and my wife got word from our school district on Monday that school will be closed for the next 2 weeks due to the Coronavirus. We have been brainstorming ideas on how to keep these kids busy and free from bickering and fighting. One idea I had was to immerse and educate the kids on some of the great movies from decades past. I searched through our options of streaming services, VHS tapes, DVDs & Blu-ray disks and so far this is what I have come up with.
The Karate Kid: Part III (1989)
Yes, I know this is probably the most hated of all the Karate Kid movies, but we have watched the first 2 so it only makes sense to finish the original trilogy. I'm sure my kids will love Daniel's slow turn to the dark side and the crazy overacting of Thomas Ian Griffith as Terry Silver.
Batman (1989)
My family just recently wrapped up watching all of the Spider-Man movies including the original trilogy, Amazing Spider-Man movies, Homecoming and Far From Home. It only makes sense to now move on to a marathon of Batman movies starting with the classic 1989 film starring Michael Keaton & Jack Nicholson.
The NeverEnding Story (1984)
My kids are just starting to become interested in movies that are not animated and that opens them up to all sorts of possibilities. I really believe they will enjoy the action and adventure in this movie. I know I did when I was their age. 
Willow (1988)
Once again, like the NeverEnding Story this movie is filled with fun, adventure and action. Last week my kids and wife watched "The Lord of the Rings" and they really liked it. I think this movie will have the same effect on them, plus it's been a while since I have seen it and I can't wait to revisit the world of Willow Ufgood!
The Black Cauldron (1985)
I have never seen this movie! This is something I wish to rectify while we have the time at home. From what I have seen in the trailers, I may be more excited to watch this than the kids!
Well, those are the movies on the list for now. I am sure it will expand as we continue this lockdown from school. If you have any suggestions for a father of three kids under 10 years old, please shoot me a message or make a comment below. In the meantime, enjoy some movies and stay healthy!

6 comments:

  1. The Black Cauldron is the best Disney animated classic. I remember seeing this in the theater when it first came out. So dark, gritty, a little scary at times, and best of all, NO SINGING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it. My kids compared it to The Lord of the Rings. It just felt too short for me. I wanted more!

      Delete
  2. That's a great list. I haven't seen Black Cauldron since seeing it in the theater, and have never seen Neverending Story. Time to remedy that situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is. It is time to remedy that situation.

      Delete
  3. Theoretically, shouldn't you begin with the 1966 Batman movie?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theoretically, yes we should have. But I showed the kids the "Bat-Shark-repellant" scene and decided to start with '89 Batman instead.

    ReplyDelete