Friday, March 13, 2020

Autographed Comics

I grew up in New Jersey and lived my first 26 years of life there, so needless to say, when the movie Clerks by Kevin Smith came out I was a fan! It's always great to see people from the Garden State make a name for themselves. It was also cool to find out that Smith had a comic shop located in Red Bank, NJ. 
I collect comics and Jay & Silent Bob's Secret Stash became a destination for me. While on my first trip to the Stash I picked up this "Tales From Clerks II" comic that was signed by Kevin Smith. It was around $10 and I was glad to add it to my collection.
The next time I made a trip to Red Bank, you guessed it, we stopped into the Stash again. This time Walt Flanagan, who you may know for his role as the offended customer in Clerks or from Comic Book Men on AMC, was the cashier for the day. 
I asked him to sign a copy of his and Bryan Johnson's comic "War of The Undead" and he posed for a picture with me in the shop. He was a very nice guy and was welcoming when we made those requests. Man, I need to get back there soon!
The final comic on this list is a copy of Clerks The Comic Book from Oni Press. Can you see a theme here? I have the most attachment to this comic and I'll tell you why...Kevin Smith and producer Scott Mosier had come to town on their Smodcast Tour. The station I work for had the opportunity to interview Smith and Mosier after the show and guess who got to conduct said interview? Yup, I got to interview these two after the show on their tour bus.
 I must have spent at least an hour on their bus just chatting with the guys about what was next and a little bit about comics. We had spent so much time talking, that the theater had closed their doors for the night. I made a remark about missing out on getting a Zombie Kevin figure from the merch booth on my way out. One call and 2 minutes later Kevin had gotten me a Zombie Kev figure and this comic that he and Scott Mosier autographed for me on the spot. This was an experience I will never forget and the guys were awesome! I've interviewed some other celebrities since then, but this was by far the coolest. If you ever get the chance to see him live, I highly suggest you take that opportunity. Thanks Mr. Smith!

2 comments: