Friday, August 19, 2016

Retro Reading Corner: Masters of the Universe


I was lucky enough to stumble upon this almost perfect copy of the Masters of the Universe read along book published in 1983 at a local thrift store. I believe I only paid about $0.50 for this book and let me tell you it is gorgeous!
The book contains 2 stories, "The Power of Point Dread" & "Danger at Castle Grayskull". Like I said the artwork in this book is amazing. It looks exactly like the drawings you would find in the old Masters of the Universe mini-comics that were packaged with the toys back in the 80s. The renditions of the characters are a bit off from what you would see in the Filmation Cartoon. I don't prefer one over the other, I enjoy both of them as separate universes.
The action in these books is a little more aggressive and way less cartoony than the show, but it still has a little humor in it. Just look at Trap Jaw getting a bucket of water to the face! But just like in the cartoon, He-Man and company triumph over Skeletor and his evil minions at the end of each story.
Another great addition to this book was the advertisement for Masters of the Universe toys on the back cover. These types of production art work take me back to the day when you would buy a new toy, rip the toy open and then stare at the card back to see what else you could get to build your army of Heroic or Evil Warriors. Time to get my old man on and say, "They just don't make them like this anymore!". Are you wondering if the record was in the book?
YES IT WAS! Wow! I don't have a record player to listen to the stories, luckily someone on YouTube does and they posted the audio for all to hear. Take a listen below and take the time to enjoy this literary masterpiece with a loved one today!

No comments:

Post a Comment