Friday, October 28, 2016

Old vs New: Ninja Turtle masks


I recently found this old Raphael Ninja Turtles Halloween mask in a storage box at my house. My son had the new "Nickelodeon" mask from last year's Halloween festivities! So, why not put them together and see which is best!
Let's start with the 1989 mask. I love the vintage look of this mask! The snarl is close to resembling the expression from the original Playmates toy line and the colors are bold and vibrant. My only complaint is that the material the mask is made from is pretty flimsy. This could easily be cracked or broken by a young child. On the plus side, the elastic string that holds the mask to your face is still very strong and holds the mask in place nicely!
Onto the 2013 mask produced by Ruby. I am not the biggest fan of the Nickelodeon Turtles look. It is okay don't get me wrong, but you just can't beat the classics. The hard plastic of this material is a definite upgrade from the 80s version and much more durable. My main issue is the Velcro strap that holds the mask up. It really is not adjustable and the Velcro weakens after a few wears.
I am a much bigger fan of the Turtles of my era and if it were up to me, I would choose the 80s mask over 2013. But, damn don't those kids look RADICAL all decked out in their costumes?

No comments:

Post a Comment