Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Pop Culture Challenge: Pop Culture Presidents


Halloween 2016 is now over. Another year filled with scares, crazy clowns and horror...No I'm not talking about Halloween, I'm talking about the 2016 Presidential Election. As of now, I am still undecided as we head down the homestretch. This brings me to this week's Pop Culture League Challenge, Cast Your Ballot: Pop Culture Presidents! I haven't been this interested in a Presidential race since Barack Obama won in 2008.
I would like to say it was because I was interested in his foreign policies or because this was history in the making as our first black President took office, but it was none of those things or anything political at all! It was because of the special edition of The Amazing Spider-Man #583 that featured a 5 page backup story featuring our new president!
In the comic (SPOILER ALERT) the villain Chameleon attempts to replace the real Obama during his Innauguration, but Spidey stops him by asking a question only the real President would know! "What was your college nick name?" The real Obama got it right, Spidey captured the bad guy and the rest is history. I wanted this comic so bad! I was a big Spider-Man reader around this time and also as a collector I selfishly wanted this limited edition collectible in my collection...Dammit! I wasn't quick enough to grab one!
This is what I got instead. Major let down! No Obama on the cover, just a picture of Peter Parker mackin on 2 hotties! Of course there were subsequent printings that featured the famous Obama shot with Spider-Man taking his pic. Four more printings!
 
I'm sad to admit that I do own most of these printings. I liked how Marvel didn't just reuse the same cover each time. Each new printing changed the phrase Spider-Man was saying and put Mr. Obama on a new background. You can find these issues online fairly cheap. I just checked and a NM first print copy of The Amazing Spider-Man #583 will run you around $38 and other printings for as low as $4. Maybe one day I'll treat myself to a copy, but there are other things I would rather spend my money on right now.
Visit the other Member's pages to see their candidates for Pop Culture President:
The Toy Box casts a vote for Count Chocula
Green Plastic Squirt Gun goes Adams/Venture in 2016!
Alexis' Universe sticks with Spidey

3 comments:

  1. I love it- Superhero team-up starring Spider-Man and Obama

    ReplyDelete
  2. By far this was my favorite of the Obama comic appearances. I say this because at the time his being elected was so huge that he was in lots of comics from just about all of the companies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he was. My other favorite appearances were in the Savage Dragon comics!

      Delete