Friday, June 10, 2016

Retro Arcade: Atari 2600


I was visiting our local classic gaming store/pawn shop a few months back. They have a great assortment of games for the old NES, Super NES, Genesis and any console since then. Usually the place is overpriced, but today they were running a sale on all Atari 2600 cartridges at $1 each! I dug through the pile and surprisingly they had no E.T. or Pac-Man games, but here is what I did find:
Adventure (Atari 1978)
Baseball (Sears 1978)
Basketball (Atari 1978)
Centipede (Atari 1982)
Pole Position (Atari 1982)
Q*Bert (Atari 1987)
Space Invaders (Sears 1980 & Atari 1980)
Overall, not a bad haul for just $8. I would have paid 20 times that amount for the artwork alone! Some of my favorite classic video games include Space Invaders, Centipede and Pole Position. I had never played Adventure before, but my interest was piqued when I heard that this game contained the first ever Easter Egg in a console game. Basketball and Baseball I grabbed just because I am a fan of sports and sports games and Q*Bert, where do I start. I get so frustrated with the game enough so that I claim "I will never paly this damn game again!" of course I do and then remember why I hate it so much. But Q*Bert the character is one of my faves. He is so iconic and AWESOME! He keeps dragging me back in with his cuteness. Who can forget his appearances in Wreck It Ralph or his cartoon show on Saturday Supercade? Why does this game suck so much! Is it time to get the Atari out of my Mom's attic and try this one again?

No comments:

Post a Comment